Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Originally Posted By: artie505
I got so sick of seeing all the tracking stuff stashed in /Users/artie/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db that I locked it, but I still see the same tracking stuff listed in Safari > Prefs > Privacy > Cookies and other website data > Details.

Can anybody explain what's up with that, i.e. from where is "Privacy" picking those items up, and are they functional?

Stuff?

How about some concrete examples of stuff?

By way of example, and all identified as "Cache:"

yieldmanager.com
typekit.com
ru4.com
paypalobjects.com
media6degrees.com
invitemedia.com
interclick.com
imrworldwide.com
gstatic.com
googleapis.com
googleadservices.com
get.it
fwix.com
bluekai.com
as5000.com

Note: i don't know why Apple displays cached items within the cookie list (i think it's dumb to treat users like dummies). They should put tabs there to segregate cookies from all that “other website data” : local storage, cache and those so-called plug-in items (from your other thread).

I agree with you about Apple's display prefs, which have left us unable to, for instance, delete a Web site's cache items but leave its cookies intact.

Further, I don't understand why each Web site's individual cookies are no longer displayed as used to be the case under Safari's "Security" tab.

But i suggest emptying the cache (⌘⌥E) before even looking at that list.

I do that many times a day, but that kinda introduces cookies into a cache thread and gets away from my original question...

From where is "Privacy" picking up those supposedly blocked caches, and are they functional despite my having locked my cache file? (If they are, isn't the lock not only useless, but causing slower page loading times as well?)

BTW (just a guess, but), maybe locking that Cache.db file forces Safari to use more RAM.

You're suggesting that as a result of my having locked my cache file Safari is storing cache items in RAM?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire