As an undergraduate, I studied government and politics under the tutelage of Senator — then professor -- John Tower, the first Republican elected to national office in Texas since reconstruction. It was through his teaching I realized I was a classic Republican in a state where the national election was over after the Democratic primary. I don't think Senator Tower would recognize the positions taken by todays Republican candidates and I seriously doubt he would support any of them. The opinions that used to label me a conservative Republican now make me a a very moderate Democrat. I have a lot of friends in the same situation.

That said, my take on Ron Paul's popularity with youth is there are a few genuine pearls (good ideas) scattered through the mass of trash that he spouts. Most of his supporters I have talked with appear to have fastened on one or maybe two of these pearls and are either choose to ignore the vast mass (or is that mess?) of his stuff they would normally be appalled with or they are so focused on their issue they can ignore the other.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein