Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Funny, sad, and true. I still can't believe Romney is heading the pack, considering some of his truly scary positions. But every one of them appears to have at least several screws loose. It's pathetic really. I remember when Obama got elected, all my Republican friends were saying "Don't worry, he's going to be a one-term president", and I was thinking they were probably right. But I'm thinking probably not at this point. (and God help us if Obama loses)

And he's basically tied with Rick Santorum, the man who has pledged to, among other things, try to ban contraceptives in the US if elected.

There's an article over on Salon called "The GOP’s bizarre war on sex" that's worth a read. It shows just how out of sync the Republican party is with the entire rest of the country--Democrat and Republican--on the issue of sex.

The Republicans made a strategic decision after Reagan to start building a strong support base among extreme Evangelical religious groups, which has turned out to be a double-edged sword...it's been very effective, but now the entire party is held hostage to reactionary religious zealots, and even former Republicans like my father are abandoning the party.

Still, the article makes a good point: even though the vast, overwhelming majority of Americans oppose having the government regulate the sex lives of consenting adults, very few people seem willing to stand up for sexual liberty, so the debate is dominated by people who support government regulation of sex.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html