Originally Posted By: plantsower
What do you mean beginning to smell familiar? That sounds ominous.

Nothing ominous at all, Rita... Just that your issue began to remind me of an elusive one posted a while back that was finally resolved by a deep cache cleaning. (EasyFind tells me that I've got 808 cache files in assorted locations, and since there's no "panacea" app that clears all of them, the "harder working" ones, Applejack and, if necessary, TinkerTool System, become obvious choices in a pinch.)

Originally Posted By: plantsower
OK. I ran Applejack. I've never been that deep into my computer so was a little daunting. I don't know how to check if it actually repaired anything or not. I went into Library-preferences to see if there was a preference (corrupt) file folder and didn't find any.

My printer is now working again. I need to give it a couple of days to see if it sticks. If not, I will do the printer reset per Jon.

Thanks again for all the hand holding.

Getting "that deep into (your) computer" was probably good for you in the long run, Rita; it undoubtedly was "a little daunting," but if you think back, you'll probably realize that it was no more daunting than was looking at your screen the very first time you turned your Mac on.

Single-user Mode, test user accounts, Terminal, and other "under-the-hood" stuff are pretty much universally daunting to those who've never dealt with them and equally rewarding to those who confront them and learn to understand their usefulness.

As for "I don't know how to check if it actually repaired anything or not:"

Originally Posted By: APPLEJACK README
6. AppleJack has a primitive logging mechanism. It writes a journal of most of its activity to /var/log/AppleJack.log.

If you're curious, you can get to /var/log via Finder's "Go" menu item.

I've got my fingers crossed for you.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire