Hi Artie: I looked up the second link Dianne gave me and it contained this sentence. (See words in parentheses.) What do you think?

Rita

"Disk Utility cannot repair the directory structure of the active startup disk but in Mac OS X 10.4 or newer it can verify the active startup disk. To repair an OS X system disk with Disk Utility, you must startup the computer using an Apple Software Restore disc (included with newer Macs) or a Mac OS X Install disk (must be the same version). Insert the disc, restart the computer, and hold the C key when you hear the startup sound. You can release the key when the gray Apple appears.

Rita

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Quote:
Well, it's still happening off on and (mostly on). I tried booting from from the install disk to get to Disk Utility and got the message that I had upgraded from the original OS so i could not get to Disk Utility unless I went back to the original version of Tiger. Is this normal?
If the install disk was an earlier version of Tiger, this is possible because updates should not only update the OS but also update Disk Utility.

Huh?

I don't recall ever hearing of anybody being unable to access Disk Utility from an install disc for any reason. (Not to be confused with OS X updates updating permissions...making one's boot disc the preferable vehicle for repairing permissions.)

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8