Quote:
Well, it's still happening off on and (mostly on). I tried booting from from the install disk to get to Disk Utility and got the message that I had upgraded from the original OS so i could not get to Disk Utility unless I went back to the original version of Tiger. Is this normal?
If the install disk was an earlier version of Tiger, this is possible because updates should not only update the OS but also update Disk Utility. You can, however, run the equivalent of DU's Repair Disk in Single User Mode:

1. Start up while pressing Command and S simultaneously. Release the keys when you see writing on the screen and wait for the writing to stop loading.

2. Type fsck -fy (leave a space between fsck and -fy) and press Return. (Fsck is UNIX for File System Check, the equivalent of Repair Disk.)

3. Wait until fsck is finished running. If any errors were repaired, run it again in case multiple passes are required.

4. Eventually, you'll either get a message that everything is OK or that the disk cannot be repaired (in which case you'll need something stronger, like Disk Warrior). At that point, type reboot and press Return. This will get you back to normal.

Alternatively, you can install Applejack, which also runs in Single User Mode. Read the instructions before you proceed. AJ will run fsck for you without your having to type the command.

Quote:
I went through the Macosx.com help site, and they wanted me to reinstall Safari. Won't that mess up my bookmarks, etc. Sounds kind of extreme.
This should not touch your bookmarks, but to be on the safe side, copy ~/Library/Safari (that folder contains your bookmarks plus other stuff) and ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist to a safe location in case you need to restore anything.

Quote:
I haven't tried my test account yet because of my skittishness and also because if it prints in all other venues, how could it be my account?
There could be something peculiar to the Safari settings in your main account. Using a test account is simple and safe. I have done it many, many times with never a hiccup and it has helped me solve problems. This is the first thing that you should do before trying anything else. Otherwise, you may tear your hair out with "remedies" that are unnecessary. A scalpel is better than a chainsaw for cutting out a small tumor.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365