Quote:
So far i haven't seen that misbehavior (using MacOS 10.6.8, Safari 5.1.2, Flash Player 11.1.102.55 and ClickToFlash 2.5.6)

OS X 10.5.8, Safari 5.0.6, Flash Player 10.1.102.64. Happens with every YouTube link, though it only started within the last week or so. The preview image does have the play button.

There may have been another site or two at which I've encountered the out-of-date Flash admonishment, but clearly Facebook implemented some kind of under-the-hood change (no flies on those Facebook engineers!).

No doubt upgrading Flash would be the simple solution, but
  1. I've disliked Flash for a long time
  2. I don't generally watch videos, due to
    1. minimal DSL download speeds
    2. a preference for reading-based rather than TV-based self-education, which preference no doubt dates to the highly-restricted TV-watching environment of my childhood (thanks forever, Mom!)
  3. I've enlisted as a foot soldier in the ersatz War on Flash by those embracing HTML 5 and the open Web, so I run with Flash off in both Safari and Camino and click to activate Flash content that I just can't live without (not much).
Doing away with Flash altogether will have to await my next computer upgrade, since pre-Intel Mac browsers don't seem to be able to handle a lot of HTML 5 content.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors