I was doing some reading on Kim and he's quite the character. (aren't all the dictators? every one of them seems to have several extremely eccentric behaviors) The most interesting nugget I read is he apparently has 3-4 billion of his country's cash stashed in foreign banks "in case he has to flee the country". Wow, talk about "golden parachute". I think that alone should make anyone lose all respect for him. And I am getting sick of seeing videos of people breaking down in tears and sobbing at the announcements... that simply can't be authentic.

Regardless of who he gets replaced with, I think it will be an improvement. The other interesting factoid about him is he basically realized that with his total control of the country and personal cash he'd taken, he was untouchable by sanctions. He really didn't care if the entire world was punishing his country, as long as he wasn't being hurt then it was fine. A ruler that cares only for himself and not the least bit for his people is very hard to deal with on an international level. Hopefully whoever replaces him won't be that way. Even if the military takes over, at least they'll be a group that can be negotiated with. I think Kim was about as bad as it gets as far as a selfish leader can go.

Y'know what would be really amazing? is if whoever takes over finds that foreign cash and pulls it back home and uses it for something constructive, like feeding their starving people.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department