Originally Posted By: alternaut
Originally Posted By: ryck
I just ran a speed test (at the ISP site) and the results said Download 15.06 Mbps and Upload .39 Mbps.

It's interesting that the speed indicated in the download window is 16.6 Kbps.

As we've discussed before in these forums, the actual download speed you observe is rarely limited by your ISPs specs. Far more often the server you're downloading from sets the rate, possibly 'aided' by local and general network conditions. In my case the highest download speed attained was about 1/4 of my ISP-set maximum, but mostly it was closer to 1/10 of that. At the same time I could download other files at up to 250KBps. Hence my suspicions about the source server.

I fully agree with you that the source server "governs," or at least rules the day.

When I quote my top speed (785Kbps), it's based on my benchmark 10.6.8 Combo d/l, which I use on the assumption that Apple's servers are up to all tasks. (In my experience, Microsoft's servers are also pretty good.) As I said, though, the best I did with Poser was 350Kbps, and any number of other d/l's don't approach even that and are frequently considerably slower.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire