DK is onto something. My main account and the test account have a blank space instead of a password. As an experiment, I set up a third account that does have an actual password. When I tried to log into it, I was prompted to enter that password. Actually, I'm a bit surprised. If all were consistent, I should be given a prompt for the password and then simply have to press Return. Instead, dk's description seems to be accurate.

I also realized that I gave some erroneous or misleading information in a previous post. My main account is set to automatically log in upon booting/rebooting. The second account, as the first, has a blank space as a password. The third account has an actual password.

So, to sum up, the situation seems to be that logging in/out will require a password unless the password is a blank space. Booting/rebooting will log into the account that has been designated as Automatic Login, and without requiring the password.

Last edited by jchuzi; 12/15/11 08:58 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365