thanks Joe, no is one moving around here. That average on the extender is always much less that the normal signal number.

But what is the accurate number, the average then?

I'm still battling Netgear, just for fun, this is the last email in an email exchange of 30 or so emails.

It's pretty hairy:

Dear Kevs,

My name is Niño and I am following up your support case.

I have review your case responses with the previous engineers and I sincerely apologize for an incomplete steps you have requested them to provide. As of now the connection through the extender timed out with your laptop and the your iMAC in your office seems to be disconnected too. Honestly, I will say our possible option because I feel the inconvenience this had caused you, so here are the possibilities, first, I can verify with the things and steps given by the previous engineers who handle this case that evidently the extender is problematic unit partly a software failure or hardware itself is bad. The only way we can fix the software problem on the extender is by flashing a new firmware, however, it will be a problem because MAC OS have different file system that cannot recognize the firmware file to be downloaded so as a heads up we will have trouble again doing the firmware flash. As a work around, using Mozilla Firefox browser is applicable than using the Safari browser. If you want to try this I have included the step-by-step instructions below. Last option is to have the unit be replace from the store because as I suspect it is a hardware problem since the extender should have not behave like this and really hard to be setup. I regret to say but it contradicts what we marketed that this unit is universal and easy to setup as you are very well aware of. Perhaps having it replace will resolve the problem. Again, I sincerely apologize for all the trouble this had caused you. If you have additional questions please feel free to let me know.

To update the extender firmware:

Let us use your laptop.

1. I presume it is currently connected to KEVS network of your main WGR614v9 router.
2. Please open your browser I prefer you have Mozilla Firefox. If you can consider downloading it and I would greatly appreciate, otherwise, let us return the product to the store and have it replaced.
3. If you have Mozilla Firefox please open it and then go to the link below:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/WN3000RP-V1.0.0.12_1.0.12.chk

4. Please save the file to the most convenient location on your laptop, I prefer just on the desktop location to easily find it later.
5. Once you are done downloading the file close the browser and let us turn off your Airport temporarily.

a. Click on the AirPort icon on at the top right side of your screen. It is the signal icon for your Wi-Fi. Then select Turn AirPort off.

6. Please reset the Extender once more.

a. Press the reset button on the back of your extender for 30 seconds.
b. Power off the extender for 10 seconds and turn it back on and wait till it is ready.

7. Using your laptop please connect an Ethernet cable to the back of the NETGEAR Extender.
8. Once connected please open Mozilla Firefox.
9. On the address bar please type http://www.mywifiextnet/cgi-bin/index.html and press return or enter key.
10. Please continue with the Extender Wizard and choose Firmware Upgrade under the Maintenance tab.
11. Please click on browse and locate the file you have save from step 3-4.
12. Please wait until the process finish updating the extender and please do not interrupt this process by any means.
13. Once the update is done. Press the reset button on the back of your extender for 30 seconds.
14. Power off the extender for 10 seconds and turn it back on.
15. Let us turn on the AirPort baco on.

a. please click the AirPort icon on the top right side of the screen, the W-Fi signal icon and then please select Turn AirPort on.

16. Once the AirPort is on. You should see again the default extender name SSID; NETGEAR_EXT. Please click on it and then connect or join the network. Since it is unsecured it should not ask for any password yet. There should a check mark beside the name SSID to indicate that the laptop is connected to the extender network.
17. Open again Mozilla Firefox and go to www.mywifiext.com or www.mywifiext.net
18. Please continue with the Extender Wizard and choose your router network name SSID; “KEVS” and click on continue.
19. On Step 3of the wizard process, please make sure your passphrase is type in correctly and continue and box is check for “Use the same security and passphrase as those for existing network.

Note if your KEVS network have WEP security please use the WEP key and type it on to the key1 box of the extender wizard page and nothing on the passphrase field. If it uses WPA type it to the passphrase field and continue.

20. Once the extender network is created, which will have the name SSID of KEVS_EXT please close all the windows.
21. Go to the AirPort icon again from the top right side and select KEVS_EXT and press connect it may not ask for a password anymore if it retains the previous connection to be save if it does use the same password you have with your KEN network.

If you have clarifications, it would be great if you can specify the step that you have trouble in case it did not work to determine our next action.

Once again I appreciate the opportunity to assist you. Please accept my apologies for all the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Niño
Technical Support
NETGEAR, Inc.
http://support.netgear.com

***Please be aware that your case will auto-close after 7 days of inactivity***