trying to run the 10.6.8 combo updater to fix issues with a damaged OS as a result of disk error. (disk replaced and files salvaged, won't boot properly, os damage)

booting off another hdd since that one won't get to desktop, the installer yellow triangles on the internal hdd and says this can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update. so I look in the log and see a handful of exception:TypeError:Result of expression 'my.target' null is not an object.

Lots of googling around yields many dozens of people that have encountered this problem (for a wide variety of reasons, some of them match my situation) but no applicable answers.

I've seen this happen when a volume is partitioned to an unexpected type, but this is GUID/HFS+ on an intel. I've also seen it happen when you have the wrong version of mac os on it. (trying to run the 10.6.8 combo on a machine with leopard on it for example) Or when trying to run say an ilife or java update without the right/prior version installed.

Judging from the log error I am assuming it's looking to get os version information and is failing in its search for or in a file, such as /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist. I know there are around 1/2 dozen files to get the os version from, and that's the only one I know the name of offhand, and it's ok. So as a start I'd like to check the others but I don't know where they are, to see if one of them is damaged or missing.

Or if you have other ideas I'm all ears. Can't use pacifist because it only installs to the booted volume, and this one won't load to the desktop.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department