Originally Posted By: grelber
My copy is exactly so indexed. However, the referent to "it" in "it's not indexed" is "cloning" (not "manual"), as is the first instance of "it" in that main clause.
Ergo, we're on the same page(s).

FWIW, the word 'clone' seems to be missing from Apple's lexicon as well. But that doesn't mean there isn't a functional equivalent. I suggest you check Pogue's index for the word "restore"... especially in the context of Disk Utility and its Restore tab. [i.e., doing a 'clone' with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper and doing a 'restore' using Apple's Disk Utility are fundamentally the same operation. SD and CCC do offer a few options, which make them more attractive in certain situations.]

BTW, i think Apple's decision to favor the word 'restore' over the more universally accepted term 'clone' is unfortunate. I feel it's a poor alternative, and it even confused (misled) me at first. Albeit... a clone (backup) can be used to "restore" some disk to a previous state (e.g., as we use it with Time Machine, when restoring from a backup). But it seems strange to use the word 'restore' in the context of an initial copying procedure.

--

page 436 perhaps?

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 11/18/11 07:47 PM.