Originally Posted By: kevs
Airport extreme is $180
Airport express is $100 (thats a repeater?)

Either the Airport Extreme or the Airport Express can join and extend an existing wireless network. In my experience the Airport Extreme has a stronger signal, but because of the cost differential, I always use an Airport Express to extend a network.
Is all greek to me now but I can go to an Apple store down the block. It's a pity to have to spend for this but…

It was greek to me the first time I set up a network but although the terminology may be confusing, it is not rocket science. With WiFi you are dealing with radian frequencies that are high enough to become really squirely. They work and they do amazing things but some of those amazing things are not necessarily what you want and the variables effecting them are almost infinite. As a result, sometimes it does require investing in devices to extend the network. It is the not the fault of the manufacturers, rather it is physics that must shoulder the blame.

How do you know of interference?

Check the signal to noise ratio and look for neighboring networks on the same or adjoining channels. Channels in the 2.4 GHz band (channels 1-13) slightly overlap so if you are on channel 7 signals from channels 6, 7, or 8 can cause interference with your signal.

Some suggestions for setting up a repeater:
  • If at all possible, the repeater (Airport Express or whatever) should be placed six feet or so above the floor to get it above most structure and/or furniture that might attenuate its signal.
  • In your case I would try to locate it in the living room on the wall closests to the Netgear Router that is creating the network. If there is another room between the living room and the room where the Netgear is located the best location for the repeater might be in the intervening room.
  • Configure the AE to "Extend a wireless network" NOT "Participate in a WDS network".

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein