Originally Posted By: grelber
Update:
Okey-dokey. Just checked/spoke with Apple support. Senior advisor advises that he has also experienced this problem and that it's shown up on a number of discussion boards. Engineering is to be consulted for potential problem resolution — which likely means that it may be addressed in a subsequent OS 10.7 update.
In the interim I suspect that it's nothing to be concerned about, namely that TM is properly doing its business.

Excellent. Now i'll just pretend i missed that part.

I tried to select Verify Backups from the TM menulet, only to find it greyed out and therefore non-selectable.

FWIW, i see no such [Verify Backups] item in Snow Leopard's menu extra... so it must be new in Lion.

Keeping in mind that I haven't been backing up for a whole day as yet, is there something I can do to check on the backups?

As i'm yet unsure what exactly the new "Verify Backups" actually does, all i can say is that the backup disk (filesystem) can be checked with Disk Utility, as if it were an ordinary disk. But note that —once Time Machine has started to work its magic —the disk becomes somewhat special. Any utility used to repair (or 'verify') its content must be qualified via knowledge of hard links... and not just linked files, but Apple has also implemented hard-linked directory structures too.

As of version 4.1 (or was it 4.0?) DiskWarrior is also qualified. But earlier versions are not. Just mentioning all this in case you happen to mount that disk somewhere else, where one of your older Macs might see it. I'm not sure if OS 9 can even mount a "HFSXJ" volume... but i could just picture you running Norton Disk Doctor (or an ancient copy of TechTool perhaps) on your Time Machine backup disk. smile One word: don't. It would be a disaster.

Even using Disk Utility from Tiger would probably destroy a Time Machine backup [trying to untangle that maze of hard links.]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 11/08/11 09:36 PM.