Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
The reason i highlighted those sections of your quotes is because —when Time Machine auto-formats a disk image on its own—its "choice" is: HFS+ (Mac OS Extended), Case-sensitive, Journaled. [sic] Yes, case-sensitive... which is not a commonly used/recommended option for Mac users. And it's also not a commonly known fact that that's what Time Machine itself chooses.... at least when it formats a disk image.

That's interesting. I checked my TM Backup and it only says: "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" At first I wondered why.

Then I recalled seeing something about Case Sensitivity in Disk Warrior. If you select Rebuild while holding the Option button, you get a couple of extra options. One of them is Ensure MAC OS Extended Format Case Sensitivity.

Under that are choices for either Case Insensitive or Case Sensitive. The Default button is Case Insensitive and it says "This is the default format for Macintosh disks."

I have never changed that Default setting so I assume that's why my TM Get Info differs from grelber.

The Case Sensitive button has a caution "This may be incompatible with some software and requires Max (sic) OS X version 10.3 or later."

Last edited by ryck; 11/08/11 08:07 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C