> "all 900+ pages of Pogue's book"

So there's at least 900 pages of stuff that I don't know (and haven't missed...yet). :shrug:

Thanks for responding, and with the key info, no less.

As I suggested, even a thumb drive might not be the real deal, because it wouldn't include the bundled apps that I assume came with your iMac. (And that assumes that an Internet Restore will read your configuration and include them.)

I just dunno... It looks like Apple actually is telling a percentage of the world that their only option in the event of catastrophe is to unplug their Macs and carry them next door to a neighbor's house, or across town to a cousin's, or to work, to, so to speak, "borrow a cup of Internet."

And they're telling an additional percentage of the world to whom broadband just plain isn't available that they don't really want a Mac any more. confused

That is, of course, unless paying US$69 for a (Edit: possibly incomplete) thumb drive is considered to be a reasonable fix. (You'd think they'd at least give people in your position a major break on the price.)

On a lighter note... I'm happy to hear that you've apparently overcome your initial reluctance to embrace your new iMac and have gotten into the swing of things; I hope you're enjoying it.

Last edited by artie505; 11/04/11 10:08 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire