Originally Posted By: grelber
I must be missing something obvious.
I've never wanted or tried to open anything in "Desktop view".
So I can't understand why this would be an issue and/or how it would apply to anything I'm concerned about.

Do you ever use your computer? Is Finder ever running? Is there a desktop on your screen? (Hint: the answer to all three questions is YES.)

Then you've opened something in Desktop View. Specifically, every time you log in, Finder launches automatically, and Finder automatically draws your desktop, always drawing it in Desktop View.

The reason this is important to you is that you were complaining that when you use the "Show View Options" menu, the dialog that appears does not have an "Always open in ..." line, despite several people telling you it should be there.

The reason you're not seeing it is that you're looking at the View Options for your desktop, which is ALWAYS in Desktop View. The View Options for Desktop View does not have such a line, because for the desktop there is no choice of view.

If you bring any other "Finder window" (by which I mean any window that Finder uses to show you your files) to the front by clicking on it, the View Options dialog will update, to show a checkbox for "Always open in xxx view", where xxx is whatever view that window is currently in. If you click back on your desktop (or close all your Finder windows), the "Always open in ..." checkbox will disappear, because the View Options window will again be showing you the options relevant to Desktop View.

I'm explaining all of this so you will understand what you're seeing on your screen and why it seems to be different from what you've been told you'll see. When you see one of my posts that doesn't seem to relate to your problem, read it again. Read it as many times as it takes to make sense of it, because everything I tell you is related to some issue you've reported having. It really bugs me when I take the time to explain something to you, you dismiss it with "that doesn't have anything to do with me", and then ask the exact same question I just answered.