Originally Posted By: RHV
Nice Try Hal.

You are way, way off the topic. I was surprised by that. You are no dummy.

But you were addressing the question whether or not clones are reliable. I was not -- though I said, as a personal comment, that my clones were reliable after testing for a day even when they were done from the boot volume.

But I was addressing in my post a different issue. And surely that issue was apparent.

I was addressing the issue as to whether clones done from the boot volume are less reliable than those done from another volume. Ganbustein thinks that clones done from the boot volume are less reliable. I challenged that on the basis of no properly acquired data provided by Ganbustein.

And you did not deal with that issue in your reply to me -- but dealt with the issue as to whether clones in general are reliable. On that one, I suspect that proper data will show that they are.

And yes; I've been on Macfixit since about 2000 and on OSX Hints forums since about 2001 -- if that matters to the issue dealt with in my post. I bought my first Mac in 1984 -- a Mac that had all the guys (some gals?) sign the interior backside panel of the computer. I think that I paid $5,000 for the computer, an external drive, and the printer.

How would you know if my answer addressed your question or not? Perhaps clones done that way are more susceptible to the phenomena which i discussed. No one ever found out for sure what the exact mechanism was... that was my point.

Anyway... it should be self-evident that cloning an OS which is actively running (with open files, etc.) would indubitably be more susceptible to any sort of quirk, than cloning a totally inactive OS from some other volume. That's just basic logic, and certainly nothing over which to get all worked up or demand detailed analysis about.

Perhaps CCC and SD have managed to solve the matter over the years, and found the exact file(s) to exclude/tweak/whatever... idunno. But some special step was probably needed to overcome the potential for such problems... which don't present themselves when cloning an inactive OS volume. If you're that interested, try asking in the forums over at bombich.com or shirt-pocket.com maybe.