Originally Posted By: grelber
Beyond the observation that most of the 'protestors' were admirably decked out in the latest finery, were sporting cellphones, etc, giving new meaning to the word hypocrisy*, it's pretty clear that the protests (in North America at least) were merely outings in the park (so to speak).

Except that the protesters aren't decrying capitalism. That's the right-wing spin, and I'm a little surprised that anyone who can work a computer would fall for it, but it isn't what's going on.

What they're decrying is something a little more specific. They're decrying corruption--financial institutions that deliberately issue financial instruments that they know are worthless, for instance, and then bet against their own instruments in the derivative market...and then, when their firms tank and are bailed out by the government, take the bailout money and give it to themselves. (When Merrill Lynch was bailed out, the board took one third of the money--about $1.3 billion--and gave it to themselves as bonuses, for instance.)

That's what they're protesting. Not capitalism itself. If you think they don't like capitalism, you just aren't paying attention.

...I wonder how much of that $1.3 billion was yours?

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html