Quote:
I must admit to being astonished that people as computer-savvy as yourselves (that's a collective yourselves) are not bothered about the fact that F/book have proved that they track internet use AND demonstrate that to your face.

Sounds like you haven't looked at your cookie file yet, despite several posts (including one from an admin, back on page one) having already posited that as the most reasonable solution to this angst-ridden mystery.

Facebook doesn't need to "track you around the Internet" just to discover that secret e-mail address, when some other site you frequent has thoughtfully preserved that info inside your cookie file already.

Yes, facebook —as well as an increasing number of sites (as i mentioned: google, and we can probably add yahoo) —use whatever legal means they can to determine what people enjoy doing... so they can strategically place appropriately tempting advertisements hither and yon. But this practice is common knowledge... and (as i also mentioned), you seem to have survived for many years now with that same cookie info exposed to the world, easily available to those who might seek to peruse it.

Perhaps we (and the other 500 million facebook users) could better share your concern if we knew what to be afraid of.

Help us.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 10/19/11 08:46 PM.