Originally Posted By: Bensheim
Originally Posted By: alternaut
Originally Posted By: Bensheim
I really fail to see what all the fuss is about. If you have a working Intel Mac, and a bootable system disk of a Mac operating system 10.*, then you can instal it on that Mac regardless of what operating system was already there.

Not necessarily so. The hang-ups are Mac model-specific hardware drivers. Because of this, as mentioned before in this thread, you generally cannot install an older version of Mac OS X on a Mac that shipped with a newer one. This doesn't appear to apply to certain current Mac models shipping with Lion, but that's a rare exception.

Again, out of sheer curiosity I Googled and found this thread where other people (claim to) have installed Snow Leopard over Lion. (page 2 on that thread, msg 47)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1104312

It's been pretty much a general rule with OS X that you can't boot a Mac from an OS X installer whose version predates the version with which the Mac shipped, but there have been exceptions, and the present instance appears to be one of them (although not necessarily in 100% of situations); Virtual1 mentioned it, although just in passing, here. (Note my comment re your situation in post #18241.) (Edit: That really applied to grelber.)

Note: And alternaut answered your question in post #18284 in this very thread. wink

Last edited by artie505; 10/14/11 10:10 PM. Reason: correction

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire