I've noticed this thread and in my brain's background processor had already prepared a response but someone else beat me to it. Then, being fascinated (in a horrible way) with your plight, I just sat down and pretended to buy a brand new iMac from Apple directly.

I wondered how long it would take me to find out what OS they're pre-loading on brand new Macs, now.

I'm pretty nifty with research, it's part of my job. I can rapid-read a whole page of marketing blah and find the part I want to click on. I can scroll up and down and remember what I've already read.

This one, though, had me somewhat askance. It took 5 times longer than it should have, to find out exactly which OS, new Macs ship with. IMO it's well hidden. IMO someone who regards themselves as a good researcher like me, could buy a new Mac, now, and then find that they've bought a LION one. With all attendant grief as in this thread.

I am looking at this entire scenario with a squinty eye (because of Apple's new OS pre-loaded configuration) and am very glad indeed that I'm not in that boat. Therefore, I owe some apologies to grelber.

Having said all that, I would reiterate my suggestion that he buy himself a Snow Leopard license, instal that on his new Mac and breathe again.

I also have to say that this is terrible PR for Lion, and their crazy decision to make it downloadable-only, if anyone wants to upgrade to it. Upgraders somehow are supposed to know in advance to save the Installation disk image for a bootable back-up. How intuitive is that?

It's been an education. Apologies again to grelber. But you are handicapped with dial-up which presumably limits your internet research........... anyway enough said.