Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Quote:
It's not at all unreasonable for grelber to have thought that "delete" meant "select the item to be deleted and hit command-delete," which is what it meant in OS....

Except that grelber didn't say anything about command-delete: "Delete means delete (via the key which reads 'delete')." Ergo, it's pretty clear that he was selecting the item to be deleted and simply hitting "delete."

If that's ever been the way to delete a file on a Mac, it was longer ago than System 7.

The same thought crossed my mind, and I typed it into my post, but then I decided that the misstatement was an oversight on grelber's part, because, after all, it's a fair assumption that he has deleted at least one or two files during the eleven years he's been running his iMac, and deleted it.

But now that you've put it that way, it becomes clear that that's exactly what he was trying to do...that the system sound he heard when trying to delete was OS X saying, not that he couldn't delete the files, but that he couldn't delete them that way, and my questioning the lack of an authentication dialog box is thus moot (and ganbustein's question is answered too).

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire