Originally Posted By: artie505
Then it has nothing to do with the ??? in Alex's post of 10-5.

No, it hasn't. The fact that both the timing of the updates and the charset change preceded the generation of the Word thread character florf is only one of the two reasons I considered that this issue was caused by something else. The other factor was the location of the off-character: at the Forum List level. The thread titles there are pulled from the threads themselves by the UBB.threads software.

I would think that for a wrong character to appear at the Forum List level*, that wrong character must first be present in the thread in question, AND that it should remain in that thread until it's fixed manually. There's nothing wrong with the thread title within the forum, so unless it was fixed there afterward I cannot explain this particular issue other than by a glitch in the Forums software. Obviously, since the Word thread is no longer the last thread posted to in Mac OS X Applications, the issue has vanished from sight.

*) Titles at the Forum List level cannot be edited by mods, as opposed to the threads themselves.

alternaut moderator