This particular discussion is now 'officially' in the realm of reductio ad absurdum. tongue

Additional explanation, I suppose, is the only way out, even at the risk of fueling the fires further. (I was just going to respond, "Bite me", but I thought I might try taking the high road. smirk ) All of which follows should be read with the proviso, IMHO, in case that isn't obvious.

My iMac DV SE (DoB 2000) came with a fair bit of software, such as Apple Works, Quicken Deluxe, FAXstf (to go with the internal 56K V.90 Fax/Modem) and Palm Desktop, the latter being similar to iCal and having a library of US holidays (just as one example) which one could drop into the calendar in one shot. Whether different holiday packets were supplied for other markets I have no idea; I had to add a few specifically Canadian holidays to mine. The point is that it came with the machine; one didn't have to go off campus to get it.

The same held true for Help. More or less complete, it was installed on the machine and performed the function of a reasonable user's guide. It should not be too much to ask for a similar courtesy in OS X and particularly for and in 10.7 when so many things have changed over all previous versions (the QuickTime, Library and other discussed issues particularly).

The major source of misunderstandings in terms of solutions to problems (I have) raised seem to result from proposed solutions based on reference to OSs other than mine (10.7.1).

Given the humongous amount of storage on the new Macs, it would be trivial to install a complete User's Guide qua Help function. The fact that Apple chose not to is an insult to and a distinct problem for the user — which this and several other threads have demonstrated. "Hanging ten" isn't as easy as it looks.

So let it be written, so let it be done. Oh yes, and bite me. wink