Originally Posted By: grelber
Strange interpretations of my comments, most of which should be examined per se (ie, on own merits), not necessarily connected with one another. So I won't engage further on that.

Not strange at all. The only way we can divine where you're coming from is to look at all your posts. And you're very definitely contradicting yourself.

But I was already mystified by your comment that you were only interested in what was already on your computer. Does that include software updates? (They don't come on your computer, but need to be downloaded as they become available.) Third party software?

Even if you focus only on calendars, how many calendars should Apple pre-install? If you look at the list, there are calendars for many countries (each of which has its own list of national holidays), many religions (each, again, with its own list of holidays), many sports (baseball, football, etc., each with their own events), and even calendars of "important" birthdays (of scientist, of musicians, of movie stars, you name it). Should Apple pre-install all of those, just to save you the bother of selecting the few you're interested in?

As for calendar updates... I don't know how often the list of calendars gets updated, but the calendars themselves most definitely get updated as needed. For example, the "U.S. Holidays" calendar includes events for the beginning/ending of daylight savings time in the U.S., and I know for a fact that those get updated each time the law changes. The point of making each calendar a subscription is that when Apple updates the master calendar on their site, iCal automatically tracks and displays the changes, so you don't need to keep checking for updates.

The subscription mechanism, of course, is not limited to Apple's calendars. You can publish your own "family" calendar that your relatives can subscribe to, so that if a family outing gets re-scheduled everyone in the family sees the change immediately. Or a company could publish a corporate calendar, visible only to employees. Your local softball Little League could publish its own calendar.

Should Apple pre-insall all those calendars too?