Some time ago I acquired a Panasonic DMR-EZ48V DVD recorder with both ATSC and NTSC tuners. I connected it to my TV via the included 3-lead audio/video cable and later with component video and audio cables (5). My TV signals arrive over the air via antenna.

THE ISSUE
Digital signal - audio attenuation: The audio portion of digital signals (but not analog signals) is attenuated by ca 50% when the program is viewed via the recorder; if the same program is recorded on a DVD RAM disc, the sound level is diminished by another 50%. That is, watching a program on the TV (Panasonic Viera) with a sound level of 20 needs to have the audio boosted to 40 (to achieve the same audio level) when the same program is viewed via the DVD recorder and needs to be boosted to 70-80 when viewing the same program recorded on a DVD RAM disc.
(In other words the pass-through signal is normal but the direct signal is mishandled by the recorder.)

Anybody got a clue what's going on? I've tried 2 recorders and both have the same defect.

Panasonic's technical support and customer service seem to be staffed by less than competent people.

Back in August I spoke with one of Panasonic's technical services managers, who advised that there had been other complaints about the sound attenuation problem and that it had been brought to the attention of Panasonic engineers. He further advised that a firmware update to address the problem should be forthcoming in a matter of weeks.
Not only has no such update made an appearance, but other management personnel deny that any such thing is in the works. So, add to incompetence, lying to the customer.
Ain't it grand?!

Addendum
Nobody got nothin'?

Last edited by grelber; 10/06/11 12:20 PM. Reason: Addendum