Originally Posted By: Virtual1
My bank is no longer a credit union, they've converted to a normal bank but they provide excellent services, good hours, easy contact, I have no complaints. (though their main ATM is in the sun and the deposit envelopes keep getting sealed by the heat!) They appear to be doing very well, I don't know why all banks can't be that way.

Part of it is a culture of entitlement.

When a business has been doing things a certain way and making a certain amount of profit from it for enough years, it seems that they come to expect that they are entitled to that much profit. So even if the economy changes, or the business climate changes, the company still expects that it should be able to continue making that much profit...and will do whatever it feels it needs to do to maintain that profit level.

This seems to have been a part of American culture for quite some time. Robert Heinlein observed in 1939, "There has grown up in the minds of certain groups in this country the notion that because a man or corporation has made a profit out of the public for a number of years, the government and the courts are charged with the duty of guaranteeing such profit in the future, even in the face of changing circumstances and contrary to public interest. This strange doctrine is not supported by statute or common law. Neither individuals nor corporations have any right to come into court and ask that the clock of history be stopped, or turned back."

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html