Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Quote:
I can view and print the front and back of any check I write from my Chase on-line account.

Yes, you can use your ink and paper and a minute or two of your time and produce a facsimile which a disputant could easily argue proves nothing except that you might have written said check or you might merely be adept at Photoshop.

Real proof will require confirmation by the bank, which means more time and inconvenience for you.

And, as you noted, there's a limited time frame during which scanned check images are available to you; to achieve the level of security you'd have if cancelled checks were returned to you with your statement, you'd have to print them all—meaning, as I said earlier, that the time, effort, and money the bank is saving is a cost that's passed on to you.

With the bank not returning my checks (almost all of which I've got no use for, anyhow), I accrue cumulative time, money, and effort savings that far exceed the potential down-the-road time, money, and effort cost of the unlikely occurrence of push really coming down to shove.

Therefore, I see the situation as a win for both myself and the bank.

And, then again, maybe I've just been luckier than most in never having run into any problems, and I've let that luck turn my attitude pollyanna.

(As you've noted, even printing all of my returned checks would not rise to "the level of security (I'd) have if cancelled checks were returned to (me) with (my) statement." )

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire