Originally Posted By: Kevin M. Dean
In this case backups only help with reverting, but not with moving forward because even the backups would corrupt once they're used by the new version.

I ended up copy / pasting any text that I could from my extension settings into a text file and then took screen shots of any settings screens to re-create them all.

I don't use AdBlock so I don't know how complicated it settings are for re-creating in that manner.

Frankly I don't use AdBlock and other extensions like it because I haven't found one yet that doesn't decrease the loading performance of the browser.

My issue with AdBlock appears to have been different than what you've experienced; replacing its corrupted database with my backup has invariably resolved my issue with no down-the-road consequences. (Edit:The issue did recur when I was experimenting with WebKit, but only when I got into four process mode and killed two of them; I guess it was the bouncing that caused it.)

AdBlock's settings can be easily recreated using your methodology, but are a real nuisance to recreate from scratch if you use it as I do... Early on, I discovered that AdBlock is a misnomer...that it should be called ElementBlock, because it can block any element of an html page, up to and including the entire page.

Accordingly, I've used AB to block any and all eye-candy on all the Websites I visit regularly, sometimes effortlessly , sometimes with much trouble, the FTM logo at the top of the Forums List page (effortlessly), by way of example.

And if I take a slight loading hit as a result of using AB, it's both unnoticeable to me and preferable to seeing the extraneous garbage (No! Not the FTM logo.) with which many Websites greet me.

Last edited by artie505; 10/04/11 11:10 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire