Thanks once again for your (last 2) responses.

No, the completed jobs record was empty (because as soon as the fax was sent everything disappeared), so there was nothing for CUPS to record. Whatever.

I spent another hour or so on the telephone with an Apple supervisor, again to no avail, except to be patronizingly told that OS X (Lion) is "light-years beyond OS 9". Duh.

I'm just too long in the tooth and have zero interest in waiting for tutorials qua downloads on dial-up to assist me in my search for truth and knowledge and the functioning of OS X. Not to put too fine a point on it — my operative level is: lazy.

I just don't relish the anxiety and frustration of dealing with a computer system that won't do my bidding without advanced training and even more so because the functionality of my OS 9.0.4 is perfectly adequate for everything I do and is actually more useful given the installed programs (which have nothing comparable in OS X) for my purposes. I'm just way too comfortable with OS 9 and Mozilla; I'd rather spend my time watching DVDs of recent movies than put up with the crap of OS X.

Unless something dramatic happens overnight, this sucker is headed back to Apple for a full refund (or possibly I'll sell it to a colleague for what I paid).

So, thanks, artie (et al), for your input and allowing me to vent my anger and frustration. All in all, it's been a gas for the past decade plus for the forums in all their incarnations. It's time to move on. I imagine that I'll continue pop up from time to time in the Lounge.

grelber out.