Originally Posted By: grelber
1. I didn't see anything in Console's sidebar that looked like it might be what I wanted, eg fax log.
The Image Shack item doesn't seem to be relevant.

2. On my old iMac I could assign virtually anything to the function keys, especially certain frequently used applications such as Word or my browser access — via the control panel Keyboard under Function Key Mappings. I can’t find anything similar in 10.7.1 – certainly not under Keyboard in Preferences. Does it exist? And if so, where?

3. Also nice little utilities such as KeyFinder (chart for all fonts) and Key Caps.

1. But did you try the URL I posted?

In Snow Leopard I've got a fax log, so it seemed reasonable that Lion might generate one. (Edit: In case it's not obvious, fax is under /private/var/log.)

(And you saw where Database Searches > Console Messages is, didn't you?)

2. OS X hasn't got that functionality built in; I use Butler (one of many apps with keyboard mapping functionality) to assign hot keys.

3. The current equivalent of KeyFinder is, I guess, /Apps/Font Book.

Key Caps has been history for so long that I don't even remember precisely what it did, but I think /Apps/Sys Prefs > Language & Text > Input sources > Keyboard & Character Viewer is today's closest built-in approximation.

Last edited by artie505; 10/02/11 10:33 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire