Originally Posted By: tacit
A few months ago, the bank where I had my business account got bought out by another bank. The bank where I originally had my account gave me free checking. When the new bank bought them, they started charging me a (big!) monthly fee for my checking account, even though I didn't sign any contract or agree to it in any way. Apparently, that's absolutely legal.

Your experience reminds me of a conversation I had about ten years ago when I was involved in a joint management/union project for a client. One of the ladies with the union told me about a chequing account she had that went back about four decades.

During a long past major revision in banking regulations, one provision stipulated a bank could not change any conditions of a customer's account without the permission of the customer. That provision has been changed since but was 'grandfathered in' and remains intact for the customers who had accounts prior to the first revision.

Her account is one of the chequing accounts we all remember - cheques provided for free, no fees of any kind and a small amount of interest. Apparently only this lady and six other people in all of Canada still had one of those accounts and it was a giant pain in the butt for the bank.

She laughed when she told me about the many times the bank had made offers of all sorts of "bells and whistles" if she would just upgrade to something "more modern". But, as she said, "This account suits me just fine, so why would I change?"

Score one for the little guys.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 10/02/11 03:23 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C