> Tech support at USRobotics advises that a log should be somewhere on my Mac, but if it is I have no way of finding it. Any ideas on any of this?

Logs can generally be found via /Applications/Utilities/Console > Log List (If you don't see it, hit "Show Log List" in Console's toolbar.), but since we've no idea what your log is called, the best I can do is suggest that you cruise the list for names that sound pertinent, and check them out.

This may get you an easy answer, though... Launch Console, and select Database Searches > Console Messages from the log list before you try to connect with your ISP; then hit "Connect" and watch for Console messages before, during, and after the connection is made.

You may also be able to find the info for which you're looking in /Apps/System Preferences > Network > Modem > Advanced (but, on the other hand, I'm not even certain that that path is correct).

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire