A few more details:
Originally Posted By: grelber
- Assuming that I can connect my iMac DV SE [ ... ] using a USB cable...

Yet another option is the use of an ethernet cable in a local network. Also, let's not forget the inexpensive thumb drive implementation of the sneakernet.

- What's the score with Apple Help? Is there a self-contained Help function on the new iMacs, so that one can figure out how to configure it and manipulate/navigate it without having to go online?

Most Apple Help items listed will be locally sourced, but below these you may occasionally find links to additional information for which internet access is required.

- With my current iMac I had (as I recall, only poorly) at least 3 months' of free Apple telephone advice. What's the current situation with telephone assistance from Apple?

The consensus among pundits appears to be that AppleCare is a must for portables, and a peace-of-mind option for desktops. FWIW, I've always had AppleCare for my desktops, but never had to use it. As joemikeb's experience suggests, ymmv.

In case it isn't obvious, I am extremely nervous about taking the plunge into a new iMac
My current iMac pretty much ran right out of the box, requiring minimal tweaking to get it to do my bidding the way I like. [...] I find Mac OS 9 far more user friendly and intuitive to use than Mac OS X...

These are all valid concerns for anyone leaving familiar grounds for new surroundings. Most of us have gone through the motions. Yes, the changeover will take some getting used to, but a new Mac still will run straight out of the box. Even so, certain favorite OS 9 procedures and approaches will not be fully reproducible (or advisable). Some will have good alternatives or workarounds, others less so.
Your level of familiarity and adaptation will determine your ultimate qualification of any new system, including this one. You're bound to compare, but give it and yourself some time to get going. Forums like these can help you to fine-tune things to your liking.

alternaut moderator