Edit: The following instructions were compiled using OS X 10.5.8; they presuppose that the bookmark importing mechanisms for Safari and Firefox remain essentially unchanged in the most-current versions.

Quote:
- Assuming that I can connect my iMac DV SE (running Mac OS 9.0.4 and using Mozilla 1.0.1 browser) to the new iMac (running Mac OS X 10.7 and using Firefox browser), using a USB cable, how would I get my Mozilla bookmarks off my current set-up and into the new iMac?

(I think you'll want to connect the old and new iMacs using FireWire rather than USB, employing the sort of adapter Jon refers to above.)

1. On the old iMac, you want to locate a file named bookmarks.html. On my old iMac, that file was at the end of the following folder hierarchy: Documents -> Mozilla -> Profiles -> Default -> swi3y9m9.slt -> bookmarks.html. (That penultimate, alphanumeric item is unique for each user profile, so yours will be different from mine.)

2. Copy bookmarks.html to the Desktop of the new iMac (either by dragging it from its location on the old iMac, if you've got them connected, or by option-dragging it from its location on the new iMac, if you've previously copied data from the old iMac in bulk).

3. Launch Safari on the new iMac. From the File menu, choose the Import Bookmarks... command. Navigate to bookmarks.html in the dialog which opens, and click Import.

4. Launch Firefox on the new iMac. Choose Import... from the File menu. Follow the prompts to import Safari's bookmarks into Firefox.

Note that Safari is simply used as a conduit to get Mozilla's bookmarks.html file into a form which Firefox can import, but any default Safari bookmarks will come along for the ride, so you may want to purge Safari's bookmarks before beginning this process, to simplify the subsequent taxonomical tasks.

Last edited by dkmarsh; 09/25/11 12:05 PM.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors