Not a big deal if your startup drive doesn't have a lot of files, but a guy here has one that has 750k files and this makes fsck churn for about a solid minute before proceeding with boot. He's threatening to go back to Snow which boots in less than 1/2 the time.

Before 10.7, fsck only ran if the volume wasn't journaled or if the journal was dirty from a hard dismount. Now it seems to always run. I'm having problems finding how to disable it.

Various googling finds information on editing fstab. If you check in /etc/ you will find fstab.hd contains a warning that it's being ignored and going away. But "fstab" is NOT there. Through experimentation I've found that if you make it, it will try to use it. But I apparently can't get the syntax right.

UUID=longvolumeidfromdiskutilgoeshere / hfs rw 0 0

(those spaces are spaces, not tabs) If you want to specify a volume name with a space in it you thus have to use octal. ("\040") But when I try the above it does indeed appear to skip fsck on the boot but then it hangs only a few lines later when it apparently can't find the mount point. Attempting to replace "/" with "/Volumes/Macintosh\040HD" doesn't work either, it still says it can't find the mount point. From what I've read, the "0 0" should prevent fsck from running if I can get it to take it.

Is anyone here more familiar with fstab?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department