Originally Posted By: macnerd10
The update disk that I created with their updater did not boot the computer. Was that because it was a CD (as it told me to insert) rather than a DVD or because the original OS was Tiger? Have no idea...

Your updated DW disc can boot only those Macs that your original v 4.x disc can boot (See below), but note:

Originally Posted By: Alsoft
DiskWarrior 4 version 4.3 is now available on DiskWarrior DVD revision 1107. This DVD is a universal startup DVD that can start up both PowerPC and Intel Macs. All Mac models meeting the System Requirements for DiskWarrior can be started from the DVD. (Emphasis added)

They did not offer a download on this deal. Because I could not find a definitive info on their site as to what version of DW will boot newer Macs, I decided to get a DVD.

The only way to get a disc that will boot Macs newer than those your original disc can boot is to pay the $22 for an updated version of your v 4.x upgrade.

To me, a lot of things are very cryptic when it comes to Alsoft. They don't update the program, they update disk for booting.

They update the program as is called for by each new incarnation of OS X, but, beyond that, they must also update the "boot mechanism" as Apple releases Macs with updated ones, and they're not allowed to offer those "boot mechanism" updates as d/l's.

Bottom line, though, is that the updated disc you created, although it cannot boot your Mac, will run DW from a separate HD or partition (and not require the inordinate boot time of a DVD).

(Alsoft.com is almost as convoluted...as difficult to follow as is the Internal Revenue Code! confused )

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire