Originally Posted By: RHV
Thanks for that. I went over to the CCC forum. Mike B says there (in general terms -- not with respect to just Lion) that to clone a PPC and an Intel Mac to an external drive, two such drives are needed, one formatted as APM and one as GUID. I know that is wrong up to and including Snow Leopard -- at least it is wrong for DU as the cloning tool.

I posted a question there. So I'll look to see Mike B's answer.

I'm not clear about using Time Machine and one external for both my PPC and Intel Mac. I'd have to have, of course, two partitions on the external. But how should the external be formatted -- APM or GUID?

I have yet to run into an intel that won't boot from an APS partitioned hard drive. There are some limitations, some real, some artificial:
1) you cannot run an intel firmware update while booted off a volume on an APS partitioned drive
2) you cannot select a volume on an APS partitioned drive using a Mac OS X operating system installer (the installer will lie and tell you that you cannot start off that volume)

I don't know why people keep spreading the misinformation that intels can't boot off APS partitions. I do it several times a day here. All my service drives are partitioned APS because I use them for both PPC and intel.

I'm certain at some point Apple will drop APS support from the boot firmware, but afaik they haven't done it yet.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department