Originally Posted By: alternaut
I just can't resist puzzles like these, so I allowed myself some guesses along an easterly route even though that forces me to start with what I couldn't figure.

Right you are on Prairie Dog Town, the Glore Museum, and City Museum. smile I basically have the soul of an 8-year-old, so City Museum was the most delightful place I've been in a very long time.

The former Fundamentalist Mormon compound was in the outskirts of Salt Lake City, and has become cheap apartments for college kids. The apartments are very strangely arranged; each one is four bedrooms arranged around a central living room attached to a huuuuuuge kitchen.

The Spelunking was at Meramec Cavern in Missouri. Had we had more time, we probably would have stopped at a bunch of other caves too.

Originally Posted By: ryck
Not much to add except something I've always wondered about the various groups that extol polygamy, and the fact that the belief always seems to be that men should have bunches of wives. You never hear of a sect where it's thought wives should have bunches of husbands. Seems to me there's a women's lib issue in there somewhere.

And you're absolutely right--it is a women's issue.

Of all the various groups that practice polygamy, nearly all practice polygyny--one man with many wives. The number of cultures that allow polyandry (one woman with many husbands) is small, and even then, the women are still forced to have the husbands that are chosen for them. Usually, polyandrous societies practice "fraternal polyandry," also called "adelphogamy" or "Leviratic polyandry" (after the Levi tribe of ancient Israelites, who practiced it), where a woman who marries a man also marries that man's brothers. The Biblical story of Onan is about fraternal polyandry; in those times, if the first husband died before having a male heir, it was the responsibility of his brothers to impregnate his wife and produce an heir to carry on his name.

So historically, the practice of polygamy has pretty uniformly been bad for women. Even polyandrous societies generally don't allow women to choose their partners at will. That's why I and my partners prefer polyamory; in fact, the partner I live with in Portland went out on a date while I've been away, so she will likely have a new boyfriend when I return. smile

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html