I just can't resist puzzles like these, so I allowed myself some guesses along an easterly route even though that forces me to start with what I couldn't figure.

Originally Posted By: tacit
Along the way, we [...] took pictures on the edge of a cliff in Utah, spent a night in a former fundamentalist Mormon polygamous compound, [...] got paced for a while by an Apache attack helicopter

Beats me, too many possibilities for each item, aside from the fact that the Apache may have been checking out that Mormon compound's visitors... smirk

Along the way, we saw the world's largest prairie dog, got surprised by rattlesnakes, [...] found a 5-legged cow

That's gotta be Larry Farmer's Prairie Dog Town in Oakley. Btw, what happened to the ice cream cone-shaped dairy parlor across the road? tongue

Along the way, we [...] visited a museum of psychiatry

This could be St. Joe's Glore Psychiatric Museum, not to be confused with the (farther out of the way) paranoid take others have on the topic. shocked

Along the way, we [...] fell down a trapdoor that led to a dark slide that plunged us into the boiler room of a very old building in St. Louis, went spelunking, [...] and rode a creaking, rickety Ferris wheel that spun really, really fast on the top of a skyscraper.

Definitely sounds like Bob Cassily's City Museum. Now that's uniquely awesome! cool

alternaut moderator