Originally Posted By: ryck
Originally Posted By: artie505
> The only change, and it's cosmetic, is that the picture behind the login window reverted to that purple, cosmos thing that the OS comes with. However, even after restoring it to one of Apple's Nature images, no other plist has yet appeared. I thought that changing a "preference" might create a plist to keep track of it.

I'm totally confused by that... The default "Cosmos" image behind the login window can be changed only by a 3rd party app, not by a preference; Apple's "Nature" images (Those located at /Apps/SysPrefs > Desktop & Screensaver > Desktop > Apple are the only such items of which I'm aware.) are desktop images that affect only the default "Cosmos" desktop image.

Neither do I understand why it happened, except that it did, so I thought I should report it in case it might shed some light.

It happened because you moved the plist in /Library rather than the one in /Users/Your short name/Library, and thanks for reporting what happened; I learned something new.

> The AdobeResourceSynchronizer is another story. It seems this has been a problem for a few people (a real CPU hog).

And that sounds like the answer to your slow-loading menu bar issue... If AdobeResourceSynchronizer was hogging resources when it loaded it would, in all likelihood, have slowed down the entire login process, and if you haven't restored ARS as a Login Item and you're no longer experiencing menu bar hangs, you've got corroborating evidence.

I hope so. Right now I'm not running either Adobe Reader or Flash but, should I decide to re-install I will check to see if Adobe has popped AdobeResourceSynchronizer back in. If so, I'll just pop it back out.

I wonder whether it was AdobeResourceSynchronizer, per se, that was at the root of your issue (assuming it's gone) or whether it was a corrupt ARS? I guess you'll find out if it's ever resurrected as a Login Item.

For the moment, though, this thread has apparently reached its logical conclusion.

You've now got com.apple.loginitems.plist,
loginwindow.plist, and
com.apple.loginwindow.plist in /Users/Your short name/Library/Preferences.

Pleeeze, just one last time, move those three files to your desktop, restart, and post which of the three is immediately recreated in /Users/Your short name/Library/Preferences.

Many thanks for that last. smile

Done and you're welcome. There was now only one and it was: loginwindow.plist

A check of Apps/System Prefs/Accounts/Login Items showed that EyeTV Helper and Microsoft AU Daemon were gone which, I assume, was expected.

Both EyeTV Helper and Microsoft AU Daemon have been restored and I now have the addition of com.apple.loginitems.plist

Great... We've now got consistency, between you, me, and dk, anyhow, on the apparent loginwindow.plist anomaly.

Also, your assumption is correct, and the recreation of com.apple.loginitems.plist is consistent with what I've experienced.

Hopefully, "Case Closed!" is not unwarranted optimism.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire