Originally Posted By: artie505
> The only change, and it's cosmetic, is that the picture behind the login window reverted to that purple, cosmos thing that the OS comes with. However, even after restoring it to one of Apple's Nature images, no other plist has yet appeared. I thought that changing a "preference" might create a plist to keep track of it.

I'm totally confused by that... The default "Cosmos" image behind the login window can be changed only by a 3rd party app, not by a preference; Apple's "Nature" images (Those located at /Apps/SysPrefs > Desktop & Screensaver > Desktop > Apple are the only such items of which I'm aware.) are desktop images that affect only the default "Cosmos" desktop image.

Neither do I understand why it happened, except that it did, so I thought I should report it in case it might shed some light.

> At this log-in the machine took a moment to pop in my All Sites pages so I checked toe Prefs folder and the User Library now has loginwindow.plist. So it appears: "Just leave them alone and they'll come home, wagging their tails behind them".

Confused again... How does Safari's "Top Sites" (Terminology failure...I meant the Top Sites...[....]) functionality fit into this discussion?

Again, I didn't know whether or not it would shed any light. However, since it occurred concurrent with everything else that was being done, I thought I should report it. I don't have sufficient knowledge to know fully what may or may not be important, so I just throw it all in.

> The AdobeResourceSynchronizer is another story. It seems this has been a problem for a few people (a real CPU hog).

And that sounds like the answer to your slow-loading menu bar issue... If AdobeResourceSynchronizer was hogging resources when it loaded it would, in all likelihood, have slowed down the entire login process, and if you haven't restored ARS as a Login Item and you're no longer experiencing menu bar hangs, you've got corroborating evidence.

I hope so. Right now I'm not running either Adobe Reader or Flash but, should I decide to re-install I will check to see if Adobe has popped AdobeResourceSynchronizer back in. If so, I'll just pop it back out.

You've now got com.apple.loginitems.plist,
loginwindow.plist, and
com.apple.loginwindow.plist in /Users/Your short name/Library/Preferences.

Pleeeze, just one last time, move those three files to your desktop, restart, and post which of the three is immediately recreated in /Users/Your short name/Library/Preferences.

Many thanks for that last. smile

Done and you're welcome. There was now only one and it was: loginwindow.plist

A check of Apps/System Prefs/Accounts/Login Items showed that EyeTV Helper and Microsoft AU Daemon were gone which, I assume, was expected.

Both EyeTV Helper and Microsoft AU Daemon have been restored and I now have the addition of com.apple.loginitems.plist

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 08/23/11 12:10 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C