Originally Posted By: ryck
Originally posted by artie500: You can, however, try moving

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginitems.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist
~/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist

to your desktop and restarting to see what happens.

I did that and interestingly, on restart, only com.apple.loginwindow.plist appeared in the Prefs Folder.

Aside from the fact that what you've reported does not jive with my (repeated) experience, while researching another issue I just deleted ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist and it hasn't been recreated after multiple restarts, so I'm assuming that it became a redundant leftover when I upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard.

I figured that having the other prefs might require some change, so I removed and re-added the Volume Control.

However, on re-start I still have only com.apple.loginwindow.plist. The Terminal instruction defaults read com.apple.systemuiserver shows a list with the Volume Control.

Whoa there! You've gotten your apples and oranges confused... SystemUIServer has nothing to do with Login Items; the former controls the icons on the right side of your menu bar, while your Login Items are the apps and/or utilities that automatically launch at log-in.

I then did the same as above in my User Library except that it only contained:

com.apple.loginitems.plist
loginwindow.plist

and on restart only com.apple.loginitems.plist appeared in the Prefs Folder.

I dunno, ryck... Under the same circumstances, I just moved both files to my desktop and restarted, and, again, only loginwindow.plist was recreated. I'm confused , but I don't think it's critical.

The non-appearance of the other Prefs doesn't seem to be having any adverse effects so I'll just leave them out and let the system restore them when it thinks they're necessary. Since everything seems to be okay, and the Menu Bar is not only loading okay but also loading more quickly, I'll press on.

You've got your apples and oranges confused again... If you look in /Apps/Sys Prefs > Accounts > Login Items you'll likely find that it has not repopulated itself fully, if at all, and whichever of

EyeTV Helper
Microsoft AU Daemon
AdobeResourceSynchronizer

is/are not present is/are not launching at login, which is probably costing you functionality. Further, I not only doubt that OS X will restore them, I've got no idea how to restore them (which is why I didn't suggest that you mess with them), so it may be helpful if you've still got the original files that you moved.

On the other hand, though, it seems like one of those three items was affecting the loading of your menu bar!

> I'm running Safari 5.1

Thanks for the heads-up.

Aaah! I just searched this thread and found that you've apparently never rerun the OS X 10.6.8 Combo, so my heads-up was moot.

> Update:

At this log-in the machine took a moment to pop in my All Sites pages so I checked toe Prefs folder and the User Library now has loginwindow.plist. So it appears: "Just leave them alone and they'll come home, wagging their tails behind them".

Thoroughly confused in addition to not even knowing what your "All Sites pages" are.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire