Originally Posted By: artie505
I just moved com.apple.systemuiserver.plist to my Desktop and restarted, and my newly-created (*) plist looked like what you and ryck have posted, but the only right-side icons that appeared were my third-party icons and Spotlight; no "default" Apple icons appeared.

Which Apple Menu Extras, if any, do you ordinarily have in your menu bar? Since the volume control, input menu, Time Machine, date and time, Spaces, displays, MobileMe syncing, PPPoE status, Universal Access status, and Fast User Switching menus can all individually be enabled/disabled from within System Preferences, it's possible that what appears when you delete systemuiserver.plist is a default set of icons minus any you've disabled.

All I know is that when I delete the plist, the input menu and Script menu disappear from my menu bar, but the volume control and date and time remain. This leads me to believe that by default, those two items appear in the menu bar. And indeed, a Fast User Switch into my standard account reveals, in addition to the Spotlight icon and Fast User Switching menu, the volume control, date and time, and the Time Machine menu extras.

I've never done anything to the right side of the menu in that account (the Fast User Switching menu appears because that's a universal preference set in an Administrator account); the Time Machine icon appears because that's the default, and in that account, unlike my regular account, its appearance is not disabled in the Time Machine prefpane.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors