Originally Posted By: joemikeb
If Safari 5.0.5 was included in the OS X 10.6.8 update you installed, then I would expect Safari 5.0.5 to replace whatever version of Safari I currently had on my system. However, the next time Software Update ran, I would expect it to offer to install Safari 5.1 or whatever the latest Safari version is at the time.

Wow! Whouda thunk that OS X could be as much fun as a roller coaster? grin

You got me thinking, so I opened the 10.6.8 Combo 1.1 in Pacifist, and it does, indeed, include Safari 5.0.5.

Putting all the pieces together, I then realized that both times I installed Safari 5.1 I followed up by running the Combo, which, without my realizing it and, in my estimation, anyhow, completely non-intuitively, overwrote v 5.1 with v 5.0.5. Accordingly, my apparently off-the-wall d/l's only appeared to have happened, but never did.

Bingo!!!

This suggests that anybody who ran the v 1.1 Combo after having installed Safari 5.1 is now, likely unknowingly, running v 5.0.5. (As I mentioned earlier, the release of Safari 5.1 preceded the release of the v 1.1 Combo by five days.)

Shame on Apple for having perpetrated this travesty!

The bright side of this is that people like tacit, who have issues with Safari 5.1, can easily revert to an earlier version.

Many thanks for giving me the leg-up I needed on this issue. smile

PS: Please, everybody... Don't tell me that my overwrite experience is unique.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire