Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Yes, that same customer just came back with their imac to check in. He wasn't able to get iBank to import properly (hard to say whose fault that was tho) so we're going with option #3.

Your customer will very likely be satisfied with option 3. In "coherence" mode the integration with the OS X desktop is so complete you sometimes cannot tell if an app is running in OS X or Windows. Lots of RAM helps however.

Actually we hit yet more snags. It won't let you install lion on a hard drive that currently houses a time machine backup. So I booted off a service drive and partitioned the internal drive into two pieces, one to install snow onto. I then realized the computer was too new to run the 10.6.3 so I had to find a way to run the installer without booting it, which I did. (dig into /System/Installation/ and run the os mpkg) But unfortunately my first run was the baseos pkg, which WILL overwrite lion with snow leopard (huuuh?) and I accidentally did so.

So now getting snow on the other partition and running the combo updater (before setup) so it was bootable, I just told it to migrate from another volume and selected the (formerly) lion updated partition. This worked and he's back on snow leopard. He left the wrong pw and OS updates like this disable auto login so I'm waiting to hear back from him for testing to verify everything 's cool but I expect most things to be good. There may be an app or two I have to backdate, OS installs like this can leave later versions of apps like Mail that sometimes don't run on the older os.

Weird results came from installing the os pkg over lion. In addition to the surprise of it running in the first place, I was unable to run the full installer on the lion partition afterward, this time it was saying it "couldn't UPgrade it". But I suppose I've confused it a bit. I'm running the snow combo updater on it now and going to test it to see what sort of condition it's in. There won't be any reason to keep it, assuming the snow installation went fine, I'll probably delete the partition in a little bit, just curious at this point to see what it thinks of my improvising.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department