The link to David Pogue's article that was posted above produces a "Please Log In" page on the New York Times site, so for those of us who don't want to bother with enabling another cookie and registering, here's the same article on another site:
Upgrading to Lion Means Embracing the iPad

The article confirms the conclusion I had reached earlier, after looking at Apple's page about OS X Lion. For what I do, I just don't need it. For the time being at least, I'll just stick with 10.6.8.

If you remember when Word 5 came out, I'm one of those guys who was perfectly happy with Word 4, because it allowed me to do everything I needed to do. For all practical purposes, the only applications I ever use are Firefox, GraphicConverter, iTunes, Terminal, and TextEdit.

My 1.83-gig Mac Mini already has all kinds of stuff I have never used, including Address Book, Automator, Chess, Dictionary, Font Book, Front Row, GarageBand (tried to edit a song with it once and couldn't figure out how to make a rhythmically-perfect splice so I forgot about it), iCal, iChat, Image Capture, iMovie, iPhoto, iSync, Mail, Photo Booth, Stickies, and Time Machine. They're all just taking up space that could be used for more music.

I'm sure there are many who will benefit from Lion, but when I looked at it, the first word that came to mind was "bloatware".