Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Quote:
Since my post addressed Apple's crowing about the 15 billion d/l's, not the revenue they've generated, you response is pretty much non-responsive.

Actually, your post expressed doubts about the ability of the Mac App Store to duplicate the iOS App Store's success:

Quote:
I'm not all that certain that the iApp Store's success can be extrapolated to the Mac App Store...

Apparently, defining "success" in financial terms is an unorthodox position to take in regard to an entity with "Store" in its name.

You took a big swing at your own bad pitch with your sarcasm bat, and you missed...

...and what you missed is the fact that nobody other than you has injected the notion of financial success into this discussion: Apple's press release trumpeted 15 billion d/l's, not their financial impact, and I addressed only those 15 billion d/l's.

Originally Posted By: Apple - Press Info
"In just three years, the revolutionary App Store has grown to become the most exciting and successful software marketplace the world has ever seen,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “Thank you to all of our amazing developers who have filled it with over 425,000 of the coolest apps and to our over 200 million iOS users for surpassing 15 billion downloads."

The inference I draw from Apple's press release is that the iOS App Store was a "proof-of-concept."

Apple, in its wisdom, realized that it could make big bucks selling software if the buying process could be elevated to the "Let's go down to the mall and go shopping" level, and the iOS App Store has presumably achieved that goal. Its roughly 15 million d/l's per day since its inception and projected 83 d/l's per user in 2011 loudly proclaim that people are not only going shopping...they're doing it regularly, if not frequently, and the assumption that the iOS App Store's 82% free and the rest cheap price structure has been a major contributing factor is not much of a stretch.

Now, having ascertained that people will shop for software, Apple is hoping they'll be as free with their money as they are with their time and that meaningful financial success will follow, but with the Mac App Store being at the focus of that hope...achieving the financial success the iOS App Store has not and never will achieve with its present price structure.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire